Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Today my baby went to school...

Well today was the big day! Jack's first day at Prep, yep that's right I am the now officially the mother of a school kid!!

He was so excited from the moment he woke up this morning, "Mum, what day is it today?" and I told him it was Wednesday, his first school day. "Yay, I get to play with my friends". That's what schools all about right, playing with friends. So he hopped in the bath, scrubbed off his Australia Day tattoos, got out and got himself dressed, went and saw Dad to put some product in his hair (lol), brushed his teeth, we put on his socks and shoes, grabbed his bag and headed out the door.

Of course, what's the first day of school without first day photos. Dosn't he look smart!?and handsome.And with his hat on.And a family shot.

We got there and it was a hive of activity. We sorted all his books and things into their allocated spots and put his bag away and then went into the classroom. We said Hello to his friends Lauren and Oliver who are in the same class and then of course Jack gravitated straight to the computer, lol, he really is just like his father. I don't think I saw any kids who seemed stressed or upset, they all seemed to be excited to be exploring a new place with new things to do. We stayed for a about a quarter of an hour before saying our good-byes and leaving our big Preppy to start his school career. I had a few little tears then as we walked away but was staying remarkably composed, then we ran into our friends the Bruckner's. Seeing Kim's red eyes made my breath catch a bit but luckily we were interrupted by the ABC radio guy asking if we could do an interview (haha, of course I stepped forward, did anyone hear me on the radio this morning?).

After we all went our separate ways I headed off to the library to have a peaceful look around and get out some new books for Jack and I. I did a little retail therapy then headed to Woolies to get some groceries and some petrol then headed home. By the time I got home it was almost 1pm so not that long until pick up time anyway. I pottered around the house a bit tidying up, had a cuppa and then it was back in the car to go and pick Jack up from school. Owen took his lunch break late so he could come along as well.

When we got there we waited near the gate for awhile and saw him walking back to his classroom with his classmates and packing his lunch box back in his bag. We were early which is very unusual for me (I actually thought school got out at 2.30 but it's actually 2.45) so we sat and waited for the bell to ring. When it was time we headed into the classroom and Jack was very excited and beaming, showing his Dad around a few things and talking about his friends and his day. All the kids seemed to have had a really good day which is great. We had a bit of an after school chat with this friends and their parents and then dropped O back to work and headed home.

Well, when we got home I showed Jack the books I had chosen for him from the library. Apparently I'm the worst book selector ever!! He was super cranky and sooky and I jokingly told him if he was going to act like this when he got home from school then he would have to have a nap every afternoon (he hasn't napped since he was 2!!, not a napper at all). He had huffed off to the bedroom when Owen's Dad came around to see how his first day had gone and refused to come out to even say Hello. So I had a coffee and chat with JG and then went in to get Jack to come and say goodbye to his grandad to find that he was fast asleep! and he stayed that way for and hour and a half. He must have had a big first day!!

So, we survived!! The first day is done and dusted!! now on to the next 13 years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jody,

I really like the family photo, what a lovely memory.

Sorry I was a sook. I thought I was alright until i left the classroom. I am so happy all the kids are coping with school so far, makes all the worry about going to daycare seem trivial as I know can see how it has helped them be ok at school!

take care
Kim

Donna said...

aww he does look so grown up...I'm glad he enjoyed his day :)...even if he was tired sooky after!

Memory Journal

 So I decided to start a memory journal this year inspired by the amazing Heidi Swapp.  She is so talented, I just love her style.  I'm ...