Friday, May 15, 2009

Introducing...

... Wet!!

Wet is Jack's new fish. Unfortunately Ishy 2 passed away on Monday night. We were going to try to do a sneaky fish replacement but were unable to find an Ishy 2 look alike so I told Jack on the way home from daycare that Ishy had died and Daddy had buried him in the garden. He was a bit sad and said he wished he could see Ishy again because he loves him and he wanted to play with him forever. RIP Ishy.

Onto a bit of cooking...Owen just LOVES ribs. We used to go to Lone Star all the time and he'd have ribs with baked sweet potato with cinnamon butter so that's just what I made for him. I never buy ribs because they are so expensive considering that it's half bones but they've been on sale at Woolies so I thought I'd give him a treat. I made my own recipe using inspiration from a few different recipes I found around and they were pretty good. They were just a little spicy, nice and sticky and yumm. So in case anyone is interested here's the recipe I used.

1 1/2 tblsp of smoked paprika

1/2 teasp dry mustard

1/4 teasp chilli powder

1/4 teasp cinnamon

salt and pepper

Save a tblsp of the spice mix to go in the sauce and rub the trimmed ribs with the remainder of the spice mix. Wrap in foil and bake in a moderate oven for 30 minutes.

In the meantime, simmer all the following ingredients...

1/2 cp tomato sauce

1/4 cp bbq sauce

1/2 teasp crushed garlic

1/4 cp brown sugar

1 teasp worchestershire sauce

1/2 tblsp bourbon

1 tblsp soy sauce

1 tblsp of the spice mix

a splash of liquid smoke

Remove the ribs from the oven and place under a grill or on the BBQ and baste with the sauce. Turn a few times basting regularly. Eat 'em up

I'm sure they'd be even better if you left them for half and hour or so after applying the rub or marinate them in the sauce overnight or both but they are pretty tasty as is anyway.

BTW liquid smoke is this bottled sauce kind of stuff that you can buy from gourmet cooking shops that is exactly what it's called, smokey liquid. You can even get it in mesquite or hickory flavouring. You don't really need it in the recipe obviously but it just gives a bit of extra smokiness to the sauce but I really would recommend using smoked paprika instead of normal paprika. It's such a great flavour.

Here's our little chef in training stirring the sauce ingredients. He just loves to cook. Unfortunately he just dosn't like to taste anything he makes. Fussy little eater he is, gets that trait from his Dad. Another soccer photo. Note the tongue. LOL. Of course all kids know it helps with hand/foot to ball co-ordination. Too cute. Again he had a really good class this week and was the last indian standing in the cowboys and indians game. There is an extra session on Sunday which I think will be a little game as well so that will be pretty cool.

And lastly, I have another digi freebie mini kit available over at my other blog, Sweeet Digi Designs if anyone is interested.

Here's a quick page I did using the kit. I also used one of the chipboard element from the other freebie kit I made. Again, I'm just learning so don't expect too much but the flower is really pretty and I'm really pleased with the damask pp. Alrighty I'm off to watch Survivor, catch u later.

No comments:

Memory Journal

 So I decided to start a memory journal this year inspired by the amazing Heidi Swapp.  She is so talented, I just love her style.  I'm ...