Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Any ant experts out there?

When we were out with Grandma for our regular Sunday walk on the weekend we came across these ants...

Now Mum & I both thought they looked very different to any ants we had seen before and since I had a camera with me I took a photo because I thought maybe they were fire ants. So anyhoo, I e-mailed the photo through to the DPI and got this in the reply...
"while the ants in image you've provided are disimilar to the fire ant (fire ants generally have a red-brown head & body and a black tail ), we will never rule anything out without a sample"
Now to me they look pretty damm red-brown in the head & body and pretty damm black on the tail!?!?! So if there are any ant experts reading my blog can you let me know what type of ants these little babies are.

Here's a couple of photos from our walk as well while I'm mentioning it. Every Sunday afternoon my Mum comes over and she & I take Jack for a little walk around the neighbourhood for a little looksy. Whenever we find any little different things alond the way we take them home to show Daddy (my Mum's a shocking horder). We take home feathers and flowers and insect skeletons and coins and marbles and things, it's very exciting. So anyway on Sunday we went down to the footy field at the end of the next block and Jack stopped to pick some beautiful flowers and when I asked him who they were for he said they were for Daddy. Daddy loved them.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jody, look at http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/fireants/ for images of red imported fire ants (RIFA). Yours are spectacularly beautiful ants but really don't look suspect. However, please do send in a sample of your find to the DPI&F Fire Ant Control Centre (address on website). They will confirm an accurate identification quickly, get right on the case immediately if they are RIFA, and tell you what you have found if they are not. Unfortunately pictures are so unreliable your correspondent simply has to be careful and ask you to sample the ants and send them in.

All the best . . .

macadamia_man

Anonymous said...

Jody, sorry no ant expert here, but ewwww, they are horrible!!! LOL

Memory Journal

 So I decided to start a memory journal this year inspired by the amazing Heidi Swapp.  She is so talented, I just love her style.  I'm ...