Thursday, June 18, 2009

Making me happy around our home...

Well most of my house is still it's normal messy self but yesterday I finally got around to giving our bedroom a real tidy up. I really like the feel of our room. It's a little cramped because the bed head and foot are so deep but I think it's nice and cosy and relaxed looking. I would like some sheer curtains to add a bit more texture but O is anti-curtain.
So after I cleaned up our bedroom I did a bit of organising and re-arranging in our bathroom. Our wall colour was a mistint that picked up cheaply and when I first painted it I thought it looked a bit poo-ey (our toilet is painted the same colour too) but I soon grew to like it.
I really like our white floating shelf. The contrast with the wall colour really makes it stand out. Unfortunately it houses all the junk we use on a daily basis like moisturiser and stuff but the other end is just pretty stuff.I decided last night that I'd have a nice relaxing candlelit bath so I filled the tub, popped in a Lush bath bomb, got a book, put on a face mask...& then it went downhill. I couldn't get the lighter to work (I think it got wet) and then I was just about to hop in when in comes a little visitor. "It was nice of you to make me a pink bath Mummy" says Jack. "Sorry sweetie, the bath is for me" I say. "Can I hop it too" replies Jack. "It will be too hot, when it cools down I'll call you and you can come in" I say wishfully. Bye bye relaxing bath. I closed my eyes and tried to pretend I was in a nice relaxing tub in some far off resort but it was a bit hard. Yabber, yabber, yabber, splash, splash, splash. Firstly he stuck his arms right in the bath whilst wearing a long sleeved shirt so off it came. Then he stuck his arms and his chest in so off came the singlet and then a couple of droplets had gone on his pants so off they came. Well I couldn't just leave him standing there starkers and cold could I so of course I added some cold, let out some water and Jack jumped in with me. Next time I'll wait until he's in bed!
Anyhoo, back to the happy house thing. This is my sofa table in the lounge room. I love this wall of photos of Jack and I love book stacks. I love flicking through cookbooks and books on home and garden design. I just love looking at pretty things. And some photos from outside. My chiminea, nice and plain & simple. I really like terracotta in gardens, it's such a nice accent. I wish our outdoor area was still all nice and we could have a BBQ. We used to have friends around all the time for BBQ's but after we had Jack it didn't really fit into our lifestyle anymore. Our outdoor setting is in need of a good sand and an oil and we have some plans for our yard that are bigger than our budget! but we'll get there eventually I guess.
And around the other side of the house, the herb/vege garden. Owen re-did this area when he was on holidays last. It does need to be oiled, I should try to get around to that. Some things are really taking off in the garden, others not so much but it's nice to have a small useful patch of yard. We have our prolific lime tree, a new little lemon and mandarin tree and then we have a few different herbs, rosemary, thyme, lemongrass, dill (we both LOVE dill), sage, parsley, basil, oregano & chives and then we have a few other things planted, chillis, strawberries, snow peas and tomatoes. And one of our dogs, Poppy.
Well I guess I should go and hang out some washing or finish the cleaning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh jody I am loving your house right now... this weekend i am getting Alan to help me put the wall decal up in our room, then i will be adding some final touches, then i need too have a big clean up and take some photos to :) you have inspired me :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Memory Journal

 So I decided to start a memory journal this year inspired by the amazing Heidi Swapp.  She is so talented, I just love her style.  I'm ...