Monday, April 06, 2009

Shiver me timbers, it's a pirate party!!

Well Jack's pirate 4th birthday party is over!! He had a fantastic time, running around, playing with his friends at the park, playing party games (except when he lost and had a little tantrum), opening his very generous gifts (thanks everyone) and blowing out his candles.

He looked adorable in his little pirate outfit, as did I (LOL, just kidding although I was dressed as a pirate). Dad piked out of the costume part but did wear a this t-shirt (got to love those Vista print freebies)... And Dad also got into the spirit of things by decorating the back of his ute (and I'm the one who gets paid out for wanting to decorate for everything :P)...
Unfortunately I didn't get a photo of him in his full costume but he's worn it before(see the end of the post). He did look very piratey and turned quite a few heads with his cute pirateness.I had done up a some piratey signs for the food (thanks to my brother Kev for cooking the parrot legs aka marinated chicken wings)We also had Seagull Egg & Algae and Shark Sandwiches (egg & lettuce and tuna), Pirates Reward (crunchie slice), Hidden Treasure Crackles (white chocolate crackles with mini m&m's and marshmallows), Fat Fingers with Blood (cheerios & tomatoe sauce), Treasure Map Treats (tortilla roll-ups) and a couple of other things. I made little pirate face cupcake toppers which turned out great (Flickr has some great inspiration)We played a few games, Dig for Buried Treasure, which was a great one. I made a treasure map for the kids to follow. The great burnt edge paper came from HEREO & Jambin hid some gold plastic coins in the sand and the kids had to dig through to find them. Thanks to JG for being the treasure area bodyguard (apparently there were a few non-pirate kids eyeing it off). This game went down really well with the kids and took a decent amount of time to play, the winner was the child that found the most coins obviously.Lauren was the early leader but was beat at the post by Patrick.Then we played Pin the Pirate on the Treasure Map. Here's Ollie having a go (note his tattoo, I wonder who did his pirate make-over?)We had a treasure chest pinate. Last year the pinata was inpenatrable so this year Jack and I made a papier mache one. I was sure it would bust easily but alas no, the kids all got about 4 turns before it finally gave way. Of course the string broke off first so the kids had to whack in on the ground (note the pinata whacker, my pink mop handle)We also had a quick game of One Leg Jake, where the kids had to stand on one leg with their eyes closed to see who could balance for the longest.
Then we had the cake!! Jack was really happy with the cake, he loved the little fish and the treasure.I took a photo at home because I didn't think it was going to make the car ride there. It was a bit precarious and had about 10 skeweres holding it together. It looked alot more derlict than the original design and I'll think twice before I let Jack choose a design next time. It took a LONG time to make.Then Jack opened his pressies. He got some fantastic stuff. Jigsaws, games, remote controlled Rory the Racecar, activity pads, some cool clothes including a Ben 10 hoodie that he loves, a personalised art smock, a dolphin playground and heaps of other things. Here's the thank you card I made for his loot bags.

So everyone seemed to have a good time, I know Jack did. It was a great party.

3 comments:

Dani said...

OMG Far Out Jody!!! Thats one awesome pirate party! What a luck little boy Jack is.

amanda hall said...

wowsers Jody - the effort you have gone to is amazing! I love absolutely everything you have done. No doubt Jack is going to have some really special memories of a fab birthday party.

LMAO at the names of all your food!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jody,

I'm Jenny...was browsing things for pirate themed parties and I found yours. I really adore and like what you did for the party. Everything is hands on.

I wrote this comment to ask how did you do the preaprations...as well as the cupcake toppers, the maps, the food and the paper mache treasure box. I hope its okay with you if I ask as I hav eno idea with this and I;m just new her in Aus (we're from Manila) so Ireally dunno where the best supplier is (thoguh I found some oline party shop), I prefer as much as possible to do it on my own. Will it be okay to seek your help? PLease? My son is turning 2 this August and I'm running out of time to prepare for the party details.

Just in case, here's my email add: jendatienza@yahoo.com

So many thanks for the help...

Memory Journal

 So I decided to start a memory journal this year inspired by the amazing Heidi Swapp.  She is so talented, I just love her style.  I'm ...