Thursday, December 06, 2007

Our very own Christmas miracle...well sort of a miracle

We store our Christmas decorations up in the roof and when we unpacked them this year Jack found 5 little intact eggs and I found one cracked one as well. He was really excited and thought they were just so cool so we put them in an old bottle and popped them up on top of the microwave to show Grandma Joy cause she just loves things like that. I was pretty sure they were ghecko eggs because I'd googled it and the size sounded about right. So anyhoo, this afternoon Jack asked for some popcorn so we were watching the microwave and I looked up at the bottle and saw half an egg shell so I got it down and lo and behold...there was and little baby ghecko. I hope it hasn't got cancer from sitting up on top of the microwave :P I can't beleive it hatched. The eggs have been shaken, carried by a two year old and been left sitting on top of a microwave so those ghecko's must be tough little buggers.



Of course the poor little thing couldn't get out of the bottle so I let it out in the kitchen and made a special little nest for the other eggs. We already had a couple of little gheckos running around so we're hopefully soon to have some more. I hope we get to see one hatch. Note the little styrofoam ball in the right edge of the nest, Jack found it the other day and said it was and egg and that it had to go in with the other eggs.This is our cat, Kitti-Mae who in general is pretty much a bit of a bitchy cat but seems to have mellowed dramatically since Miss Ophelia's departure. She has been very tolerant of Jack which has really surprised me. Here he is making Buzz Lightyear ride her.Speaking of Buzz Lightyear, did I mention how we came to have him? I'm addicted to those claw games that they have in the shopping centre and have won a variety of cool toys but the other day I pulled out a Buzz Lightyear!!! I was sooooooo excited. It was just like in the movie. I even SMS'd Owen at work to let him know.

Ok, I have some more Christmasy things to show from around my house...

The wreath on our front door...

Our little potted olive tree all glammed up with some baubles and tinsel...My cool reindeer that I bought at the local swap meet (like a giant garage sale). I just love them!! I think I may have to force my husband to make a few extras before next Christmas.Owen, to my surprise, came home today with this cool Santa key. He saw it in the window of a shop that one of his poker buddies owns. I'm really surprised that he bought something Christmasy. It's such a neat idea. I've seen them in a few stores lately.I decorated a Kaiser Christmas tree. The pearls look really wonky in the photo but arn't that noticeable in real life. These papers are some of my all time favourite Christmas papers.A Kaiser Christmas star...Jack's daycare Christmas party is tomorrow night so he and I iced and sprinkled some arrowroot biscuits this afternoon. I did the icing and he did the sprinkles. You should have seen the amount of sprinkles on my floor afterwards. What a mess!!And of course Jack had to taste test them.And Dee just to make you feel better with all the poo-tastophe's you've been having...Jack pooed in the shower tonight!! Thankfully I wasn't showering with him which I normally do. GROSS!!!

Ok, ciao

Oh, and you have to try this...it's just soooooo freakin' funny. I nearly peed in my pants.

Edited to add: A couple of people asked about the over the table decoration. It's just a couple of large branches and a couple of small branches, wired together, painted with a tinge of silver, then I sprayed on some varnish, sprinkled on some glitter and then more varnish. It's just suspended with fishing line. It's quite light.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jody oh can you be my Mummy? Gee you seem fun!!

EWWWWWW about the shower poo.. Well today is slightly better only 2 poos in the undies (grrr)..

I'm soo gonna try your over the table deco -- wish me luck (help!!)

Anonymous said...

Oh and OMGosh at the gecko eggs and the subsequent geckos!!! At least you know you dont have rats -- they woyuldn't have survived up there ;)

Anonymous said...

What an amazing gecko story - I loved it !!
And your decorations look amazing - want to come down and do the same thing at our place?? :)

Anonymous said...

Jody your Christmas deco are just gorgeous!!!!!......I totaly love those reindeer!

How amazing are those ghecko!..hope you get to see one hatch

Angela said...

Love the ghecko eggss. How exciting that one hatched.

And i'm loving all your Xmas decs. You are a very clever chook.

Memory Journal

 So I decided to start a memory journal this year inspired by the amazing Heidi Swapp.  She is so talented, I just love her style.  I'm ...